Daily Bible Verse

Provided by Christ Notes Bible Search

Friday, December 30, 2005

 

Body Bag

I helped put a dead man in a body bag tonight.

He wasn't cold. He had died just a few hours earlier. Just as I came in, I think.

Also, he didn't "look" dead. He just looked like a human being. He had been doing well, recovering in the hospital from some condition or other. Then, finally, the mortal shell gave out. It didn't matter that his toe nails needed to be trimmed. He isn't going to need toe nails where he's going. I imagine someone may give him a shave if he is to have an open casket funeral.

The thing that surprised me is that it didn't bother me. It was a little strange putting a human being into what amounts to a giant sandwich bag. It is counter-intuitive to have a bag over one's head, never mind the whole body. But the act of dying is as natural as the act of breathing, or the act of being born.

Comments:
Otho,
I can't agree; "the act of dying is as natural". When I was 4yrs old, I KNEW that I would live forever. I don't know how, but I KNEW. I think the dying in peace (or even quietly) has to be either by there faith in the Lord; or in there "RESIGNATION" to over-come the weakness of the body.

Man was made an eternal being, this is natural. Death is an intruder brought about by God's enemy.
Be Blessed,
Pete
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Blogroll Me!