Daily Bible Verse

Provided by Christ Notes Bible Search

Saturday, July 23, 2005

 

Where did I leave my soul?

I haven’t posted in a while.

I’ve got things I want to talk about; I just haven’t had time to compose them. I got a job working in a hospital as a care technician. The job is rather demanding. Right now it’s demanding my soul.

You see, I deal with people who are sick. I’m working in critical care, so the people here are really sick. One of my patients right now isn’t expected to recover. The family is in there right now discussing what to do. One of them is holding onto the false hope that, since Grandma opened her eyes, she understands what is being said. Another is crying because she knows she’ll never have her Grandma back like she was before.

It makes me think of a poem I once read. I can’t remember the author’s name or even quote from the poem, but the essence is that people sometimes leave their souls at home. I haven’t decided if I can pour my soul into my work, making myself vulnerable to the needs of my patients, or if I should leave my soul at home and do my job with clinical, detached professionalism.

I don’t know what to do.

Comments:
Ortho,
I would say, if you can't throw your heart into the work, it would be better for you to find something where you can. The problem is this will make you callous and indifferent over time. Which I really enjoyed your discription, "as a trap, an illusion". Great Stuff. Anything that will move you from love and commpassion is the wrong direction. The dilemna with church's? We need to make ourselves vulnerable to the body, if we are loved good, if we are rejected, we are still loved by God. The heart is then exercised and enlarged to try again.
Be Blessed,
Pete
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Blogroll Me!