Daily Bible Verse

Provided by Christ Notes Bible Search

Thursday, July 28, 2005

 

Faith in action with a Sawzall

I turned 35 recently. When I first thought about my 35th birthday, the first thought in my head was that I was halfway to 70. I think it was Oprah who said that 50 is the new 40. I thought that kind of inflation ended in the 80’s (thank you, Gipper).

It comes to times like these where one reflects upon life, weighing accomplishments against time spent watching cartoons. I have a Bachelors degree from Purdue University. I’ve traveled through South and Central America. I’ve been sea kayaking with whales. I was once close enough to a bunch of bald eagles to throw a rock at one. (I didn’t. Those things are huge!!)

In spite of all these things sometimes I wonder whether I’m using my talents or burying them in the basement, see Matthew 25:13-30
I’ve recently learned from my new internet blogging friends that I would benefit from being more bold. When I was in high school, I was guided by the principles of anger and snap-judgement. Hopefully I will find a middle ground. Next week I am going to give of myself by helping to build a playground with an organization called kaboom If you see someone on the news injuring himself with some kind of power tool, that will probably be me. I heard that racing legend Tony Stewart will be there. He once threatened me with a Sawzall. I can’t wait to see him again.

Kaboom is a wonderful organization. My wife and I helped build a playground through Kaboom in 2003 at a shelter here in Indianapolis. Kaboom benefits children who have parents who are in and out of jail. God forgive those people if total strangers can appreciate how precious their children are better than their own parents.

Comments:
Otho,
I think if you'll kayak with whales, your probably bold enough! The Kaboom sounds like a good work, and a great chance to help the kids. I think there is room for a man who is quick on his feet, the anger can be channelled for good as well. Someone's got to get mad enough to do something!
Be Blessed,
Pete
 
So you're in Indianaplolis, huh? My husband's aunt lives there. Hadn't ever been to Indiana yet. Hope to get there someday.

I'm not so sure that you necessarily have to be bold to blog. I just find it a good way to articulate my thoughts. I've never fancied myself much of a writer, but it's kinda growing on me.

Ahem, I don't yet see my blog in your sidebar. ;)
 
Gayla,

Fixed it!
 
otho, you're too funny! But, hey, thanks for adding me.

You're on mine as well ;)
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Blogroll Me!