Daily Bible Verse

Provided by Christ Notes Bible Search

Friday, October 07, 2005

 

Find a penny, pick it up.

Luke 15:8 (New International Version)

The Parable of the Lost Coin
8"Or suppose a woman has ten silver coins[a] and loses one. Does she not light a lamp, sweep the house and search carefully until she finds it?


Today I picked up a coin I saw in the parking lot of the hospital. It was a penny. I don't know why I picked it up, but for some reason it seemed urgent that I do.

I know what my wife would say about that, "You picked up a penny you found in the parking lot of the hospital?" She's very concerned about germs.

I thought about it for a minute and I realized as I was walking into work that that penny was once worth something. Years ago, you could actually buy something for a penny. Years ago, that penny was once worth something to someone.

It brought to mind a conflict I've recently had about my role as a care giver and whether I actually do any good. Some of these patients are really sick, and it's hard sometimes to feel like anything I do for them does any good. Some of those patients are demented and will never recover. Some of them have lost their family, through time and distance. And yet, they still need to be fed and bathed and cared-for.

So what is that penny worth? What lesson did I learn about picking up a dirty penny I found in a parking lot? Even if it isn't worth anything to anyone else on the face of the planet, that "penny" is pretty valuable to God.

Matthew 6:20 (New International Version)

20But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal.

Comments:
Our church has been caring for an elderly and very sick woman now for two years.

She is a member of our church and became ill with cancer 2 years ago and we decided at the time to give her the financial help and whatever support she would need as she was dying. We basically made preparations for her funeral expenses.

She has no family, only her church family.

What has been interesting is to watch a church family care for her when she has no means to give anything back to the church. She can't give financially, she is too ill to serve. We just visit Carol, we financially support Carol, we celebrate birthdays with Carol and we help in any way we can.

Carol has recovered from cancer! She has been healed! The doctors call it a miracle. Carol calls it a testimony and shares all she can with her "neighbors" in the nursing home.

Carol started rehab this week and will move into her own apartment soon. The church has been so blessed to care for her and is currently preparing her apartment for her.

It is so exciting to see what God has done!

Carol may not financially support the church, she doesn't "serve" in any ministry...but, OH, how God uses her to serve Him, and allows us to be blessed by her.

She was even able to be wheeled into church the past few Sundays for the first time in years!

Good advice...pick up that penny!
 
Look at the penny closely. What does it say on there? No! Not that - turn it over. Read the words just above Lincoln's head.

I think pennies serve as good reminders.
 
Um, I think you got it backwards. The verse just before :20 says NOT to store up treasures on Earth, where moth and rust destroy.

The verse you quoted (:20) is saying to store up spiritual and immaterial treasures for Heaven (ie: not material pennies).

The real message is to leave the penny alone for moth and rust will destroy it. Instead, store up spiritual points with God by following all his rules and praying to him alot.
 
Aaron, in my story, the penny is a metaphor for a "lost soul"; someone who has been left behind by society. By "picking it up", we are tending to others who have been cast aside. I didn't pick up that penny from the parking lot to make myself wealthier. I picked it up because that was how God chose to speak to my heart; to remind me to be aware of things that He values.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Blogroll Me!